What are MIL-DTL-24308 connectors?
Meet the Connector: MIL-DTL-24308 connectors
MIL-DTL-24308 connectors are a high-density rectangular I/O electrical connector in the D-subminiature family (named for its distinctive D-shaped metal shell). Also known as M24308s, these compact, high-reliability connectors feature solid machined contacts and come in a versatile range of classes, mounting options, and layout types. M24308s are available in rugged and environmentally resistant versions and feature removable crimp or fixed solder contacts. They are commonly used in instrumentation, communications, and computer peripherals. In space- and weight-constrained military and aerospace designs that require a multitude of circuits, such as aircraft missiles, ground support systems, and satellites, they deliver high connectivity in a SWaP-friendly format.
ITT Cannon designed and patented the first D-subminiature connectors for the commercial and military and aerospace markets and Cinch was the first company to license the product. The M24308 connector was originally known as a micro-ribbon connector because standard ribbon connectors which were much bigger. Cinch and Amphenol made the original ribbon connectors.
Today, the M24308 is one of the most specified components in high-reliability markets.
M24308 connectors are classified by use:
- Classes G and N connectors are designed for use in harsh operating environments with a temperature range of -55°C to +125°C.
- Class D, K, and M connectors are designed for use in high-reliability space applications.
- Class N connectors are for use in applications where the presence of residual magnetism must be minimized.
- Class H receptacles contain atmospheric pressures across the wall or panels on which the connectors are mounted.
- Standards The MIL-DTL-24308 meets the stringent MIL-Spec requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of Defense. It is a Qualified Parts List (QPL) connector.
- ClassesGeneral, space, or non-magnetic
- Contact Terminations: Crimp (removable), solder cup (non-removable) contacts
- Mounting Options Straight or right-angle printed circuit board (PCB) mount
- Terminations Crimp, solder cup
- Layout Types: Standard density, high density
- Accessories Connector savers, protective covers, jam nuts, and storage receptacles are available for this connector type.
- Mating Cycles From 200 to 500 mating cycles, depending on class and manufacturer.
- Materials The standard version features a stamped steel housing. The MIL-DTL-24308 is also available in stainless steel, aluminum, and hermetic options. Finishes include electroless nickel, zinc-nickel, gold, black anodized, nickel PTFE, olive drab cadmium, passivated stainless steel, and cadmium-free options.
- Ruggedization MIL-DTL-24308 connectors are highly rugged and designed to be resistant to shock, vibration, harsh environments, and temperature extremes (most versions are rated -55° Celsius to +125°; aerospace grade versions expand that range to 200°C).
Markets, Sectors, and Applications
Military and commercial aircraft, weapons systems, robotics, test, instrumentation, computer peripherals, medical equipment, and other high-performance, harsh-environment applications.
- Ribbon connectors