Facts & Figures: Top 10 Suppliers by Market Share
Bishop & Associates reports the top 10 connector suppliers in share of market in part two of our “Top 10” Facts & Figures series.
The top 10 connector companies are shown below, with each company’s share of 2014 world sales.
Top 10 Changes
The following table identifies the top 10 companies in 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, and 2014. You will note that the top 10 has changed dramatically from 1980 to 2014 (34 years). A number of companies dropped out of the top 10 as a result of lower sales, while others dropped off the list because they were acquired by and absorbed into another manufacturer.
Companies that dropped out of the top 10 status include:
- ITT Cannon, manufacturer of industrial and military connectors
- DuPont/Berg, acquired by FCI
- 3M Electronics (not active in acquisitions in recent years)
- Augat, acquired by Thomas & Betts
- Winchester (a couple of small acquisitions in the past few years)
- Cinch, acquired by TRW, then Labinal, and most recently by Bel
- Burndy, acquired by Framatone
Companies that achieved top 10 status include:
- Amp/Tyco/TE Connectivity: Ranked #1 for the past 34 years
- Amphenol Corporation: Ranked #2 in 2014 and has been in the top 10 since 1980
- Molex: Ranked #3 in 2014 and in the top 10 since 1980
- JST: Achieved top 10 status in 1990 and is now ranked #8
- Hirose: Achieved top 10 status in 1990 and is now ranked #9
- JAE: Achieved top 10 status in 1990 and is currently ranked #7
- Yazaki: Achieved top 10 status in 2000 and is now ranked #6
- Delphi: Achieved top 10 status in 2000 and is now ranked #4
- Foxconn: Achieved top 10 status in 2010 and is now ranked #5
- Sumitomo: Achieved top 10 status in 2014 and is now ranked #10
Company names changed significantly since 1980 and so has regional dominance. In 1980, all top 10 companies were headquartered in North America. In 2014, only four have base of origin in North America, while six have base of origin in Asia. There are no European-based or China-based companies in the top 10. However, it will not be long before a Chinese company achieves top 10 status.
To see the first article in this series, click here.
Bishop & Associates has published a 10-chapter research report that provides a complete analysis of the World’s Top 100 Electronic Connector Manufacturers. This report furnishes detailed statistics that benchmark the leading connector manufacturers by 2013/2014 total sales, sales by end-use equipment market, sales by product category, and many other key industry measurements. All manufacturers are exhibited by 2014 sales, and are ranked by region of the world with percent year-to-year change. The report provides all the key data needed to analyze each of the top 100 worldwide electronic connector suppliers. Click here for more information.
No part of this article may be used without the permission of Bishop & Associates Inc. If you would like to receive additional news about the connector industry, register here. You may also contact us at [email protected] or by calling 630.443.2702.