TE’s Slim High-Speed Copper Cable Assembly
TE’s new slim high-speed copper cable assembly is a 33 AWG fine-gauge copper cable assembly that provides 40Gb/s and ultra-thin, lightweight features for high-density use.
TE Connectivity introduced one of the slimmest high-speed copper cable assemblies on the market: the QSFP+ 33 AWG cable assembly. As an evolution of TE’s high-speed TurboTwin cable assemblies, these ultra-thin cables address the need for fine, lightweight, and highly flexible cabling solutions in high-density intra-rack applications such as data servers, switches, storage, and routers. The QSFP+ 33 AWG cable assembly is TE’s latest addition to its broad portfolio of Quad Small Form-factor Pluggable (QSFP+) connectivity solutions.
“In a competitive marketplace, increased bandwidth speed and space within intra-rack applications have become critical to our customers,” said David Stonfer, global product manager, TE Connectivity. “We continue to enhance our existing family of QSFP+ products to deliver new innovations that further increase bandwidth and data rates, aid in lowering energy costs, and create new operational efficiencies. It’s these efficiencies that translate directly into cost savings for our customers. We are also on schedule to release a slimmer 34 AWG gauge cable assembly later this year.”
TE’s QSFP+ 33 AWG cable assembly supports aggregate data rates of 40Gb/s to accommodate faster data speeds and increased bandwidth. The RoHS-compliant cables are offered in outer diameters that are approximately 45% smaller and 50% lighter in weight than the 30 AWG cable, allowing for easier access in and out of racks and better airflow management. Other major features and benefits include:
- Higher port density: At 3x the port density of SFP, these fine-gauge QSFP+ copper cables assemblies offer significant advantages in flexibility and cable management.
- Unique external braid termination: Located at the backshell of the connector, this design offers enhanced EMI suppression with virtually no EMI leakage. If EMI is not mitigated properly, these disturbances may degrade the effective performance of the circuit or prevent meeting compliance standards.
- Optimized paddle card design: This minimizes the signal loss and interference between signal pairs and provides a cleaner, quality signal to meet the signal integrity requirements of 40G Ethernet and InfiniBand standards.
- Standard and customized lengths: Cables are offered in standard lengths from 0.5 to 2.5 meters, in half-meter increments, for high-density intra-rack applications. These lengths may be customized for specific applications.
- Madison Cable brand TurboTwin parallel: The assemblies use low-loss Madison Cable brand TurboTwin cable with attenuation (or signal loss) of 4.8 dB per meter at 5 GHz frequency.